If the Health & Safety Executive visit your workplace and find that you are in material breach of health and safety law, you will have to pay for the time it takes them to identify what is wrong and to help you put things right. If you don’t break the law, you won’t pay anything.
How much it costs
It currently costs £129 an hour. The fee will include the costs covering the time of the entire original visit. The total amount recovered will be based on the amount of time it takes HSE to identify the breach and help you put things right (including associated office work), multiplied by the hourly rate.
Your fee may include the inspector’s time:
- at your business or workplace
- preparing reports
- getting specialist advice
- talking to you after the visit
- talking to your workers
The fee can vary depending on:
- how long the original visit was
- the time the inspector spent helping you put things right
- the time it took the inspector to investigate your case
- any time we spend on taking action against you
So, the modest cost of advice from SoPro could be money well invested.